Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Recipes & Celebrations

Mother & Daughters...

My Mother's Day Celebration was spread out over a few weeks this year... lucky me!

Sadly, Ashley lives half way across the country so we did not get to see her and SIL in person...however she and Casey are sweet to phone often and they sent a beautiful card and monetary gift for me to purchase"something special". So, on behalf of Ashley and Casey...we are now the proud owners of a new, electric Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt/Sorbet/Ice Cream Maker. I have been having fun experimenting with different recipes and will post some in the future!! I'm sure this won't really help in the fight I'm having with my "marturing Middle Age spread". But, Oh Well! We are really looking forward to their visit in a few weeks. I'll have to try out some of the new recipes while they are here in town!!

Megan, Brad and I celebrated Mother's Day a week early due to the fact that we would be moving her out of town on June 13th. She treated us to a wonderful evening out at a chic, upscale Italian restaurant. We had great service and even better food! It was fun to sit out on the Patio, enjoy the evening air and spend time together visiting. I felt very spoiled! I have been lamenting the fact that I didn't have my camera with me to capture a few pictures. I will miss our weekly lunch dates now that she is out of town. Thanks Megan, it was a lovely evening!

Since we helped Megan move on Mother's Day, Erin and Micah were kind enough to reschedule a special meal Erin had been planning for Mother's Day. Last Friday evening we went to their home for lovely meal Erin had worked hard to prepare. Fine china and flowers graced the table along with salad, rolls, potatoes, steak, special sauce, sparkling punch and cheesecake. Thanks Erin for all your hard work and for making me feel very special. The meal and entire evening was wonderful!!
Of course... to the man that made this whole "motherhood" thing possible in the first place... Thanks Bradley, I love you! He went over the top this year and purchased the laptop computer we have been wanting to get. Now I am mobile!! I've already taken it out on it's maiden voyage to Panera Bread... a great back-up for the frequent time we loose Internet service at home! Thanks Honey!!

Erin shared her recipes with me and said I could pass them on to you! :-) Thanks Sweetie!

Tangy Lemon Cheesecake
2-1/2 c. crushed gingersnaps (about 40 cookies)
1/3 c. butter, melted

Filling:
3 packages (8oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 T. lemon juice
1 T vanilla extract

Sauce:
½ c. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
¾ c. water
2 T. butter
¼ c. lemon juice
1 T. grated lemon peel

In a small bowl, combine cookie crumbs and butter; mix well. Press onto the bottom and 2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. spring-form pan; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low just until combined. Add lemon juice and vanilla; beat just until blended. Pour into crust. Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. In a sauce-pan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Refrigerate cheesecake and sauce overnight. Serve sauce over cheesecake. Garnish with mint leaves and fresh berries. Yield: 12 servings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Filet Mignon
For 2: Heat olive oil in a pan. Saute one clove garlic (minced), green onion, rosemary, pepper and salt. Add filets. Cook 5-9 minutes on each side over medium heat, or until reaches desired doneness. Remove filet mignons to serving platter. Add 1/4 c. dry white wine to skillet, scraping up garlic and other seasonings in bottom of pan. Drizzle over filet mignons.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Boursin Cheese
(“Mean Chef” on RecipeZaar.com)
Makes 2 cups:

2 cloves garlic
8 oz. butter, softened
2 (8oz) pkgs cream cheese, softened
½ t. salt
½ t. chopped fresh basil
½ t. marjoram, fresh or dried
½ t. chopped green onions
¼ t. thyme, fresh or dried
½ t. fresh ground black pepper
1 t. dill weed

Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until smooth and well-combined.
Spoon mixture into a small serving bowl and chill overnight.
Serve at room temperature.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Potato Gratin with Boursin

2 c. heavy cream
5 oz. boursin cheese (about 1/4 of recipe above)
3 lbs red potatoes, peeled [I didn't peel], thinly sliced
Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Grease 9x13 baking dish
3. Stir cream and boursin in heavy saucepan over medium heat until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
4. Arrange 1/2 of potatoes in baking dish, season with salt and pepper and pour 1/2 of cream mixture over.
5. Repeat
6. Bake until top is golden and potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mock Champagne Punch

1 qt. white grape juice, chilled
1 qt. ginger ale, chilled
Strawberries or raspberries

Combine grape juice and ginger ale; pour into a punch bowl or glasses. Garnish with berries. Yield: 16 (1/2 c.) servings


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outback Ranch Dressing

1 t. dry ranch dressing mix
1 c. mayo
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 t. black pepper
1 med-lg clove garlic, minced
Dash red pepper, or more if you like spicy!

Mix well or blend in blender. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.

6 comments:

Trella said...

How wonderful! You have very lovely and sweet daughters.

Wow! Thanks for sharing the recipes with us, it all sounds very good.

Lori said...

Oh my gosh that meal sounds delicious. I'm going to have to copy some of those recipes and try them out.

The photos of you and your daughter are beautiful.

I wanted to let you know that I have a new blog address.

http://lorisblogspace.blogspot.com

Please let me know if you can get into my new address.
I so enjoy blogging back and forth with you and didn't want to loose touch with all my blogging pals.

We had a local guy post on his blog our last names and town we lived in and etc. It creeped some of us out so we changed our addresses.

Lori said...

In answer to your question. I found this out through my site meter.
There was an address on there multiple times that I hadn't seen before.
I clicked on the by referrals tab. Then I clicked on that address and it brought up his site.
Which showed the post that listed 4 of us in town here names and all.
His site is a local newspaper type site.

Karen said...

What sweet girls you have! That's my favorite kind of celebration....one that stretches out!

Lori said...

My site meter is shown down below all of my posts on my side bar. It is above the Daily Christian snippets.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a lovely Mother's Day celebration you had! Your daughters (and you) are beautiful!
And the food!! Oh, it looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipes.

Have a great day!