It's all about me...or is it...
Have you ever been sitting in church when you quickly realize the Pastor probably got his inspiration for this week's sermon while sitting in your back yard? You know, just like in the movies where the stalker hides behind a tree and points one of those "guns" at your house that allows him to listen to every word, thought and deed of the inhabitants? Scary thought. That happened to me a few weeks ago while attending church with our daughter and son-in-love. Actually, as the Pastor talked; I waited for his first illustration to flash up on the overhead screen with a full blown picture of me...complete with name and address. Let's be fair...I had endured, what I consider, an unusually bad hormonal week (you women in "mid-life" know what I mean). I was convinced that anything that had breath was specifically put on this earth just to irritate me. Actually, the irritation didn't even have to be breathing; the unfinished remodeling of our home, un-ironed clothes, dirt on the floor, piles of items stacked around a room where I am in the midst of decluttering and organizing the closets... you name it and it qualified as an irritant. Anyways, you get the picture. So, the title of his sermon was “It’s NOT about me”. Ouch! I’m afraid I’d been having a major “It’s all about me” week; complete with justification for each frustration I had recently voiced to anyone who would listen. (and some who wouldn’t) The Pastor’s words gently turned our thoughts to John 13 where Jesus’ example of servant hood is aptly taught. We were reminded of how Jesus set aside his position and knelt before Peter to serve him by washing his feet, thus fulfilling the job of the lowliest servant. Lesson: Our SERVICE is superior to our status. We were also challenged to consider if our "busyness" robs us of our blessings. In other words, does my agenda keep me from serving and get in God’s way? Sometimes we just need to do what needs to be done and not just what brings me comfort. Double Ouch! I had spent the week feeling burned out, put upon and unwilling to serve my family. In fact, more than once that week I had been complaining about ways that they should be serving me! I could quickly see it was one of those weeks that the Lord was speaking directly to me; it was providential that I was there and I was thankful the words were falling on an open heart. Thank you Lord for speaking to my frustrated heart. Thank you for caring enough to “grow me up” in You. Thank you for your example of humbling yourself before others and teaching me to do the same. What a small world it would be, if it were all about me!
“And so when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments, and reclined at table again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right; for so I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master; neither one who is sent greater than the one who sent them. If you know these things you are blessed if you do them.” John 13:12-17

No comments:
Post a Comment